"Untold numbers of professing Christians waste their lives trying to escape the cost of love. They do not see that it is always worth it."--- John Piper








Our Beautiful Joseph!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Oh! I'm Sorry...I forget!

I remember reading a post from another "adoptive mom" before we got Joseph. She had an incident where she "forgot" that her child was adopted and gave family medical history information for him. It was hard for me to understand how she could have not remembered that he was adopted. Well... I get it now!! My 7 year old was asking why he was small for his age and his brother is tall (they are 2 years apart and very close in size). I explained "heredity" to him and how he was taking on characteristics of my side of the family while his brother seemed to be favoring Daddy's side of the family. I almost said that it looked like his brother, Joseph was going to be taking after the smaller side of the family, too!! OOPS! I caught myself and smiled in my heart. Then, I explained that Joseph has different heredity, but that he would likely be closer to his size than to my taller guy.

The other thing that I have been pleasantly surprised about is how friendly and accepting our town has been! Whenever we go out, I have had so many sweet, beautiful comments. I have been braced for rudeness, but haven't really had any incidents to report. The only "annoying" thing is that we do get stopped A LOT. One day, I was having a difficult grocery trip and came home wishing I had a sign that read, "There's nothing to see here. Yes, he is very cute but I am just a mom trying to get my groceries and go home!" Of course, I want to reflect positively on adoption. I try to be friendly and vaguely answer questions when appropriate.

Lastly, just wanted to post some summer pics. Yes... we have been swimming A LOT!!



Now, we are going to try to enjoy our last few weeks before we re-start our homeschool year. Sniffle, sniffle that the summer is winding down. Enjoy, everyone!

6 comments:

  1. So funny! I've done the same thing with height, after measuring and seeing that Anya Rashi was the same height as our taller son when he was 3. :o) It just does creep in there -- as do observations about their gifts and talents being like an aunt's, etc. :o) So you have lots of company!

    I love the swimming pictures of your guys!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I remember once that I was at a charity event, and a not so tactful/thoughtful person asked one of my friends which of her children were adopted. Without skipping a beat, she looked at her 4 children, looked back at this person, and said "I haven't the faintest idea" :) Glad to hear you are receiving warmth from your community. Your Joseph is a cutie!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph is getting big! I can tell a difference since we saw him last! :) I love reading your blog and have missed your posts! :) Wish we lived close enough to get together more often! Zane had such a good time with his cousins! {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might as well get used to being stopped because it does not seem to subside, even after being home nearly 3 years. Nice, though that you have been so well received around town.

    Looks like lots of fun pool time!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing about how living life day to day in your community. We are getting prepared to bring our little Vikram home hopefully this fall and I cherish the info you give:) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had our first outing on the way home from dropping the first of 3 stool samples off this morning ....Caribou as my coffee pot died at 5 a.m. I digress...the attention she brought actually surprised me. MN is one of the largest adoption states and silly me just thought people wouldn't think much of it. Well...Miss Abby brought lots of ohs and ahhs from the women, as did their "good big brothers". The comment that cracked me up was, "She looks like you guys." I wasn't sure how to respond to that?! I said, "Ya, only a little darker!" and smiled.

    ReplyDelete