"Untold numbers of professing Christians waste their lives trying to escape the cost of love. They do not see that it is always worth it."--- John Piper








Our Beautiful Joseph!

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Santa Bequeathing Wisdom

I just have to share this with everyone. Bill and I were really struggling with the big jolly elf this Christmas. We have done the "Santa" thing with our little guys in years past, but for some reason it was a matter of conscience this year. I couldn't understand why I was experiencing a catch in my spirit every time we were talking about it with the boys. It was always such fun before! Well, a friend was able to articulate my reservations for me in a conversation and then I read a wonderful article on the "Desiring God" website reiterating the same ideas. (click on the John Piper link to read it) It was an AHA! moment for us as parents. Santa is said to have many of the same attributes that God possesses. He can see everyone, he knows all this stuff about you, he can go all these places in one night (kinda omnipresent), etc... Then, you turn around one day and tell them that Santa's not real, but that God is real and all of those things are true about God!! YIKES! We knew that we had to tell them the truth right away as they are forming their beliefs in God RIGHT NOW.

Okay-- so we break the news to the boys and wait with bated breath for their responses. Our almost 7-year old goes over to the window and stares out into the yard just thinking. Bill and I look at each other like "OOPS- we've devastated our child." Well, our little guy turns around with relief on his face and says, "So that means I don't have to be good to get my presents?!"

After a few chuckles, a talk about grace with our son, and reflection on that response, I realized that I have held that view of God myself in the past. I believed that His blessings in my life were based on whether I was a "good girl" or not. I have been freed from this false reality in the Truth that God's gift of salvation was given freely and could never be earned by any "goodness" in me. Just as we love our children unconditionally and give them good gifts because they are our family, God loves us unconditionally as His adopted children through the blood of Christ. PLEASE embrace that truth this Christmas... No matter what you do with the JOLLY OLE ST NICK!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this post. There is so much truth in it. This is a great reminder of God's grace and HIS love for HIS children. May our children embrace this truth at an early age.

    April :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We struggled with this in the past, mostly from the standpoint that we wanted our young children to understand what the holiday was actually about. We hang stockings and do St. Nicholas on Dec. 6, a cultural tradition that I grew up with in my German/Dutch family.

    But then we talk about who St. Nick was, and how he helped poor children because he loved Christ. One day, my oldest son figured it out on his own, and said "So that's where Santa Claus came from . . . why did people have to throw in the reindeer?" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that,we feel the same. Since our oldest was 4,when God convicted our hearts he has known the truth. Actually it is kinda funny,they were talking about Santa when he was in preschool and he said he did not want to go back because they lied to him. So then he says Santa is a lie and reindeer don't fly. This knocked our socks off,but what could we say,so true. Adyn is 4 and we just keep like you said God is the reason and santa is make believe. It works and we don't have to break their hearts later.
    Just my two cents but everyone has their own opinion. When we were little our parents did Santa and well we are still normal.Gidget
    Love the blog design.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. It makes me feel better too, b/c now I don't have to worry about my boys ruining it (as Silas declared to his kindergarten class that Santa was not real . . . oops I forgot to explain that some people like the story;). We've always talked about who the real St. Nic is and the boys like that story & it's a great way to speak of taking care of others & keep the focus on Christ. Keep writing, girl!

    ReplyDelete