"Untold numbers of professing Christians waste their lives trying to escape the cost of love. They do not see that it is always worth it."--- John Piper








Our Beautiful Joseph!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Resolutions

I am so NOT a New Year's Resolution maker! Sure, I need to get acquainted with the treadmill we purchased a year ago and pipe down on the chocolate and pizza, but well... I just really don't care so much about that at this stage of my life. Maybe I will get skinny...maybe I won't, but I am not going to lie to myself about it! What I AM going to do is revisit some amazing books and try to digest the material more thoroughly. There is also a new book my husband got for me as a Christmas gift that may not be as "well known" to some of you, but I can already strongly recommend it as a resource to both humble and inspire. I have decided to list these books in an effort to hold myself accountable and to maybe help others find some great books without wading through the others to find the "greats". These books are my favorites on various topics. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to read or have already read a few of them.


This is the book I got for Christmas. It is a collection of Puritan Prayers. WOW! It is inspiring to read their insight and devotion to the supremacy of God!

You can take every book you have ever read on marriage and turn it into the used bookstore. After you read and "digest" this book (which I plan to re-read this year), you will have a stronger marriage and a closer walk with the Lord.


I recommend this book A LOT when I am asked about homeschooling. I do not find him offensive at all because we homeschool, but he is very direct about the importance of Christian education for our children. If you have ever considered homeschooling or just want to understand the "weird neighbors" :) this is a priceless book.

I have listed this one last, but it will be the first one I re-read this year... I wonder why?? This parenting book is just amazing! I have read SOOOOO MAAAANNNYYYY, but this one just takes all of the twaddle and boils it down to the main point. In addition to the adoption education (I don't have any favorites yet... any suggestions?), I think just wise parenting and strengthening our relationships with the Lord and our husbands may be the best things we can do for our newly adopted children.
I hope this blog post isn't too much like an info-mercial, but I love it when people recommend books to me. Sometimes I disagree with the recommendation, but it is always a journey to read up!!!! Well, I'm off to finish an adoption book tonight! Happy reading!!!




4 comments:

  1. I also love to read so thank you for the review! We home schooled both of our children from the beginning, our son is now in 7th grade and doing an online Christian school and our daughter is in Clear Fork Highschool as a sophmore.. Happy New Year and God Bless

    Liberty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,I will check some out.:) Gidget
    Happy New Year,we got lots to look forward to this year in 2010!!Blessings,Gidget

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been interested in "When Sinners Say I Do" -- I'll have to see if our church library has it. Now I know someone who loves it, so I'll be motivated! I don't have any stand-out favorite adoption books -- we've taken good stuff away from many of them . . . There is a book that come out in 2009 by a Catholic Christian psychologist who adopted (and his wife is homeschooling!) 10 children from the US foster system. His name is Dr. Ray Guarendi, and I've been meaning to read that one. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the recommendations! Will definitely check them out. :)

    Kristi W.

    ReplyDelete