"Untold numbers of professing Christians waste their lives trying to escape the cost of love. They do not see that it is always worth it."--- John Piper








Our Beautiful Joseph!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Great Is Thy Faithfulness

I was asked by a friend to write a post to share about God's financial provision throughout our adoption process in an effort to encourage others. So many people say things like, "I would love to do it, but we can't afford it". If that is you, keep reading!

We felt called to adoption, but we weren't sure how we were going to pay for it! Like so many adoptive families, we have made some choices which do not make sense to financial advisors. After having children, I slowly cut back my hours at work until we could arrange our schedules so that one of us (either Bill or myself) could be home with the children. This means that I now work 6 days per month as a PRN Speech Therapist at the hospital. My husband works for the State of Missouri as a probation officer. We have a mortgage, but no other debt. We are not high rollers by any American standard. My idea when we started this was that we would just take out a loan and pay it off. People borrow money for "less worthy" causes, I thought. A friend almost knocked me off my feet one day when she said that she was going to pray that we would get through this debt-free. I thanked her and wondered if she had seen our bank account!! Silly girl! WELL---- we are on the brink of travel and have had the money each time to pay the fees... with money for our trip already saved!

It has been nothing short of miraculous. I could outline specifics, but our adoption expenses have quite literally arrived in our mailbox or at our front door! Here are a few examples: My husband was awarded a raise that Missouri said he should have gotten years before. We had no idea that was coming! They gave him the raise and the BACKPAY in a lump sum providentially just before a huge program fee. A family member handed him an envelope once with $1,000 cash inside. This is not a wealthy family member-- totally unexpected and NOT requested. A woman showed up at our front door with an envelope containing $300 with a Bible verse written across the envelope-- I still don't know who did that! I had the opportunity to work some extra hours at work and I helped at a nursing home last summer for a gal on maternity leave a few days per week. My mom offered babysitting to allow me to do that. Will we have nest-egg when we are done?..ummm...no... BUT what a nest!!

My point is this--- If you are called, GOD will equip you! I have not met an adoptive family YET who would tell you otherwise. People ask me ALL THE TIME, "Isn't that expensive?" My husband told me to give them the perfect response. Now, I say..."It costs EXACTLY as much as GOD has provided". Enough said.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes. Totally our story as well. We've received amazing and unexpected blessings when it comes to finances related to the adoption. Our bank account is so low right now that my hubby and I had a serious talk about it... but we ended the conversation with, "Look at what God has done so far. What makes us think He's going to stop doing what He's been doing?" We're believing for the miraculous and have been encouraged to do so by God's provision in the lives of others like you, and in OUR lives! He is sooo amazingly faithful. Our example: We applied for a grant and got MORE than we asked them for!! AMAZING GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Laura! God is faithful to supply for our needs. We too, looked at our finances when we were called to adopt and decided that this is what God called us to so so He must know how we are going to pay for this. We don't have any stories of money just showing up in the mail or just the right amount coming our way at the right time, but we have been able to pay the amounts due everytime (with God's grace). I love and share in your nest-egg comment!

    April :-)
    April :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How encouraging Laura,God doesn't call the equipped,he equips the called.:)
    We have had similar things happen too:our benefit was exactly what we needed to pay for our referral,and then we get a check and card in the mail to help us fly to India and I could go on how God has lead people to help us,not only finances,but leading our hearts. Like he has done from the beginning,
    Proverbs 3:6- In all they ways acknowledge him and he shall firect your paths. Maybe we get to meet in India with our babies!!:)Love this post and hope it helps others,and I like what your husband has said about God providing. That really sums it up in a nutshell.Gidget

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was thinking about this post I need to correct my previous comment. We did receive additional money from a family member right before one of the big payments were due. It has been SO long I had forgotten. God was faithful to bring this to my mind and remind me of His provision for my family. I wanted to give praise where praise is due.

    April :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your testimony! I came over from Sarah's blog to read your post. How very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome testimony!!! Ours is the same...miraculous! My friend who has adopted twice told me the checks just come in the mail. I had some doubts when when she first said that. Happy to say she was right!!!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a leap of faith, for sure -- but if we never let ourselves get in a place where God is the only One who can provide, we will never really know that part of His character. I love this post!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, well said and tell Bill I'm stealing his line. :) Thanks for taking the time to share this part of your story. I love your family!

    ReplyDelete